Exercise, mainly when this word pops into someone’s mind most of the people think of
losing weight or toned abs, but exercises can play an important role to treat various health
Most of us go for easy ways, whether it is life or treatments, when it comes to
treatment most people do not have the time or patience to go for treatments that require
physical activities like exercises and yoga asanas. Hence, people would eat nine to ten
tablets in a day but they would not exercise, even if it is possible and safe for them to
exercise and do yoga asanas.
Today we will discuss some exercises for disc bulge problem. People who
suffer from lower back disc bulges mostly go for medicines and this might reduce
their pain, but if they really want to strengthen their spine, disc bulge exercise
and yoga asanas are best.
Most people who come between the ages of 30 to 50 years are prone to lower back
disc bulges. And 95% of people who come between the age group of 25 to 55 years are
more likely to develop lower back disc bulge.
Then comes people who are above 55 years of age and such people are more likely to
develop disc bulge from the middle part of your spine to the upper lumbar spine.
Lower back disc bulge is more common among people, but this problem can occur
anywhere from your neck to the lower back areas.
What are the Symptoms of Disc Bulge?
- Pain in the leg.
- Tingling and numbness in the leg.
- Lower back pain.
- Weakness in the legs.
If the patient experience loss of bladder control or loss of bowel control, it is a
sign of a medical emergency and one should not wait for a miracle. You need to seek medical
help as soon as you can.
Physical Activities Great for Lower Back Disc Bulge:
- You can do pilates.
- You can practise yoga asanas every day.
- You can go for morning walks or evening walks.
- You can do cycling along with your loved one, joy always helps to heal fast.
- Swimming is a great exercise for the overall body.
Overdo nothing, gently do these physical activities so that you remain active and
get proper rest as well.
Note: No matter what, you should always remember that you cannot start any
exercise without consulting your doctor. Every person's condition is different and if you
want to do exercises for disc bulge problem, you have to take your doctor’s permission.
Practise These 5 Exercises for Disc Bulges Every Day:
- Cat-Cow (Camel) Stretch:
- In this exercise, you need to first stretch your knees and hands and then slowly
you need to drop your stomach towards the mat or floor. Once your stomach in
towards the floor you need to look upwards towards the sky.
- While you are pressing your hands into the floor, you need to exhale slowly and
then you need to move your spine (gently in a round direction). While doing
this, gently curve your neck in a way so that you can look at your feet.
- You can repeat this exercise 10 times.
- Spinal Decompression:
- In this exercise, you need to find a bar or something from where you can hang.
- You need to hold your bodyweight for 30 seconds maximum.
- You can repeat this exercise three times.
- If you feel any pain or problem while doing this exercise, do not go further
stop doing this exercise.
- Piriformis Stretch:
- In this exercise, you need to lie down and then you need to bend your knee while
your heels are on the mat.
- Then you need to cross your left leg on the other right leg. You need to rest
your ankle over the other knee.
- Then you need to slowly pull your crossed knee towards your chest area and this
will create a stretch in your buttocks. You need to hold this position for 10 to
15 seconds and then you can do the same with the other leg.
- You can repeat this exercise three times on both sides.
- Bird Dog Stretch:
- In this exercise, you need to lie down on a mat and then you need to keep your
hands and knee under your shoulder and hips, respectively.
- Then you need to raise your right hands in the forward direction and while
doing this your need to kick your left leg in the backward direction. While
doing this, make sure that your right hand and left leg are aligned with your
- You need to hold this position for 2 to 3 seconds and then come back to the
starting position and start with the other hand.
- You can repeat this exercise 10 times.
- In this exercise, you need to lie down on your back and then you need to raise
your knees slowly towards your chest. Your heel and knees should be bent while
you do this exercise.
- While you try to pull your knee upwards towards the chest, you need to keep
your hands behind the left or right knee you want to pull upward.
- Then you need to do the same things with the other knee.
- You can repeat this exercise 5 times.
You can also try other exercises and yoga asanas like cobra stretch, but only after
taking permission from your doctor or physiotherapist. These exercises for disc bulges are
great to improve the flexibility of your spine and to strengthen your spine muscles.